Introduction to GSM
GSM stands for Global System for Mobile Communication.
– 1991 first GSM network launched
– 1992 european GSM network turn commercial
– 1994 data transmission capabilities launched
– hierarchically structured
– consists of one administrative region, which is assigned to a MSC.
– Each administrative region is made up of at least one location area (LA). LA is also called the visited area.
– An LA consists of several cell groups
– Each cell group is assigned to a base station controller(BSC).
– cells of one BSC may belong to different LAs.
– Mobile station (MS)
– Base station subsystem (BSS)
– Network and switching subsystem (NSS)
– Operation and support subsystem (OSS)